Guide to permit applications

23 West Planning District
Box 111
Belmont, MB  R0K 0C0

Gillian Wright: Secretary-Treasurer

204-537-2722 (Office Hours: Monday to Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  closed for lunch 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.) 

Kevin Cameron: Building Inspector / Development Officer

204-523-2080 (cell) or for information regarding Building Permits, Development Permits, Variation Orders, etc. 


 General Permit Requirements

 Permit applications should be made at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the work

Address and legal description of the property involved

Owner’s name, address and telephone number

Reason for permit application (construction, placement, alteration, etc) 

Development Permits

 A development permit is required for the erection, relocation, placement, structural renovation, elevation or attachment of an addition of any building over 100 square feet. This applies to farm, industrial, residential or commercial buildings. It is also required for the placement and erection of signs.

A development permit application requires a site plan showing the property involved as well as the distance of the proposed structure from all property lines and other structures on the property.

For livestock facilities, the number of animal units is also required.

 Building Permits

 A building permit is required for the construction, alteration or placement of any residential, commercial or industrial building over 120 square feed in floor area.

A building permit application must identify the following;

Use and size of proposed building

Type of work being proposed

The total value of the work being proposed (including labour)

Plans required include;

Floor plans and accompanying site plan

Wall cross-sections identifying construction components and specific lintel (header) sizes for all openings

Foundation plans

Ventilation plans

Some aspects of construction plans may require the sealed plans of a structural engineer. Examples are;

All wood foundations shall be engineered

All basement walls over 40 feet in length shall be engineered

All truss systems shall be engineered

Building walls that support truss spans greater than 32 feet shall be engineered unless they can be shown to conform to the specifications of a current ‘span book’.

Construction proposed for areas of questionable soil bearing capacity or adjacent to severe slopes or other areas of potential movement may require the sealed plans of a geotechnical engineer.

All buildings that attach to a private sewage treatment system shall have a valid permit for such systems as issued by Manitoba Conservation.


Use and site requirements

 The following use and site requirements shall apply in the ‘RG’ Residential General zone:


Single family dwellings – minimum requirements site area 6000 sq ft

minimum site width 50ft

minimum front yard 25ft

minimum side yard 5 ft

minimum rear yard 25ft.

 Please feel free to speak with Building Inspector Kevin Cameron if you have any questions (204-523-2080,