Royal Canadian Legion and Auxilliary Cartwright - Mather Branch 86
The Cartwright Branch was formed and received their charter on March 1, 1931. On June 17, 1936 the branch name was changed to the Cartwright - Mather Branch No. 86. In 1993 the Legion and the Ladies' Auxillary combined to form one organization.
Over that last few years sons and daughters, spouses and widows have been allowed to become associate members with the right to vote and hold office.
The original goals of the Legion were to assist veterans and their families in their communities. With fewer veterans, the focus for the Legion is now to ensure that the sacrifices made by our veterans are not forgotten.
The Legion across Cananda sponsors a literacy/ Poster Contest in conjunction with Rememberance Day. Our Branch awards monetary prizes to the winners with all students receiving commemorative coins and ribbons. The Legion continues to help sponsor children who wish to attend the Legion Athletics Camp at the Peace Garden. Legion members are the honour guard for the annual Rememberance Day Service at the school and participate in the parade for Cartwright Ponderosa Days in August. The Legion also hold annual Memorial Day and Rememberance Day services.
The local Legion branch also maintains the Legion Cenotaph located at the intersection of Broadway and Curwen Streets in Cartwright. They have been responsible for the refurbishment of the cenotaph in 2007, have added names of veterans from the community, and plant and maintain the flower beds surrounding the Cenotaph each year.
The Legion Cenotaph was first erected on June 21, 1921 to pay respect to the men who sacrificed their lives in the defense of the Empire.
The monument is made of Stanstead franite and stands 12 feet tall.
Inscribed on the cenotaph are the names of 26 men who lost their lives in WWI, and 15 men in WWII.
There are a total of 184 names of veterans from WWI, and 191 names of veterans from WWII.